“HIGHWOMEN” DEBUTS AS ZANE LOWE’S “WORLD RECORD” ON BEATS 1
“BACKSTAGE ACOUSTIC: THE HIGHWOMEN AND JIMMY FALLON COVER FLEETWOOD MAC” SELF-TITLED DEBUT ALBUM OUT SEPTEMBER 6
The Highwomen share their eponymous song today (listen HERE)—the third track unveiled from the collaborative movement’s debut self-titled album. Written by Jimmy Webb, Amanda Shires and Brandi Carlile, “Highwomen” features Shires, Carlile, Natalie Hemby and Maren Morris along with special guests Yola and Sheryl Crow. The song made its debut as Zane Lowe’s “World Record” on Apple Music’s Beats 1.
Additionally released today is an exclusive “Backstage Acoustic” video of The Highwomen with Jimmy Fallon performing Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” (watch HERE).
Produced by Grammy Award-winning producer Dave Cobb, The Highwomen will be released September 6 on Low Country Sound/Elektra Records.
Already receiving widespread attention, USA Today calls the record, “a debut album with instant-classic potential,” while NPR Music calls the lead single, “Redesigning Women,” “a country anthem to women’s empowerment…subject wise, timing wise; perfect and wonderful,” while Rolling Stone raves, “catchy, smart, delicious, anthemic country gold” and Refinery29 declares, “This isn’t a song. This isn’t a supergroup. It’s a motherfucking movement.” Watch the single’s official music video HERE.
Last month, The Highwomen made their live concert debut at Newport Folk Festival. Of the landmark performance, and their only confirmed concert to date, Billboard praises, “set a sky-high standard with a performance that was the sum of its extraordinary parts,” while Rolling Stone declares, “it was clear that country music’s newest supergroup’s first time on stage had been a triumph.” The Highwomen also performed several songs with Dolly Parton at the festival as part of the all-female headline set curated by Carlile. Of the collaboration, Consequence of Sound proclaims, “now etched in legend as one of Newport Folk’s most memorable moments…a lifetime musical zenith.”
Continually demonstrating the importance of inclusion and collaboration, The Highwomen are joined by several guest musicians, vocalists and songwriters across the album. The project features Sheryl Crow (background vocals, bass), Yola (vocals, background vocals), Cobb (acoustic/electric guitar), Jason Isbell (acoustic/electric guitar), Phil Hanseroth (bass, background vocals), Tim Hanseroth (guitar, background vocals), Chris Powell (drums) and Peter Levin (piano and keyboards) with songs written by Carlile, Hemby, Morris, Shires, Isbell, the Hanseroth twins, Rodney Clawson, Lori McKenna, Miranda Lambert and Ray LaMontagne among many others.
“Anyone can be a Highwoman,” Carlile notes. “It’s about banding together, abandoning as much ego as humanly possible, holding one another up and amplifying other women every chance we get. Shoulder to shoulder. One push, one love.”
THE HIGHWOMEN TRACK LIST
1. Highwomen (written by Jimmy Webb, Amanda Shires, Brandi Carlile)
2. Redesigning Women (written by Natalie Hemby, Rodney Clawson)
3. Loose Change (written by Maren Morris, Maggie Chapman, Daniel Layus)
4. Crowded Table (written by Natalie Hemby, Lori McKenna, Brandi Carlile)
5. My Name Can’t Be Mama (written by Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Amanda Shires)
6. If She Ever Leaves Me (written by Amanda Shires, Jason Isbell, Chris Thompkins)
7. Old Soul (written by Maren Morris, Luke Dick, Laura Veltz)
8. Don’t Call Me (written by Amanda Shires, Peter Levin)
9. My Only Child (written by Natalie Hemby, Amanda Shires, Miranda Lambert)
10. Heaven Is A Honky Tonk (written by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Ray LaMontagne)
11. Cocktail And A Song (written by Amanda Shires)
12. Wheels Of Laredo (written by Tim Hanseroth, Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth)